Thursday, December 16, 2010

~Song Review~

It's so hard to choose just one song or album for this review, so I'll name a couple of my favorites. First has got to be Within Temptation, a Dutch band that is classified as "symphonic metal rock". Now while that's a mouthful, their unique style of music is utterly fantastic. The way they blend their background beats with their wicked guitar playing and outstanding lead vocalist, Sharon den Adel, makes for a truly interesting experience. Some of my favorites include The Howling, The Truth Beneath the Rose, and Stand My Ground, just to name 3 of my 21 songs by them. Definitely check them out if you're into that kind of music.

Another of my favorites is Nightwish. While similar to Within Temptation, Nightwish is a Finnish rock band that has more of a variety of styles. For instance, their earlier works with their previous lead vocalist, Tarja Turunen, has a more 'opera' feel to it because her vocal range was so high and melodic. Their current music is what you would compare more to Within Temptation, with the fast beats and the hardcore background. Their current lead vocalist, Anette Olzon, has a deeper voice, but can still hit those high notes. A few favorites with Tarja are Wishmaster and Nemo, and a few with Anette are Sahara, Amaranth, and Bye Bye Beautiful.

Lastly, I gotta say I'm a huge sucker for soundtracks. If I see a movie that has music I love in it, I go buy the whole soundtrack. Probably my most recent buy was the soundtrack to Robin Hood, the 2010 film starring Russell Crowe. No vocals, just plain instrumentals with astounding swooping notes and falling scales that perfectly capture the moods of each scene. And then there's the music from The Secret of Kells, a 2009 animated movie loosely based on The Book of Kells. While I love every song in that movie as well, the one that stands out the most is Aisling's Song (pronounced 'Ashley' or 'Ashlyn'). The song switches between English and Irish Gaelic, a dying language I am beginning to learn. Check it out some time. You'd be surprised at what comes off to be a childish movie is actually quite the contrary.

So I guess that's my music in a nutshell. I'm not one to run off and listen to all the pop culture songs out there. I'd much rather listen to my vaguely obscure bands and movie soundtracks that few people have actually heard of (as in listened to the songs, not just one lyric).

2 comments:

  1. Shiloh. you didn't add a picture or a VIDEO LINK~
    But I don't normally listen to any type of metal rock but I may consider, since I have this suppppper long winter break~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your search for music that finds itself a bit off the beaten path. Check out Fever Ray. I suspect you may like it.

    ReplyDelete